I have need for multiple servers to share the same database files.  We are
implementing a site that will have hundreds of thousands of users at the
same time, so we need a large pool of Linux servers that are
load-balanced.  Then, all these servers, each of which will run Apache and
MySQL (or another database if MySQL just can't handle the load), needs to
access the single large RAID disk array through a giga-bit network connection.

Certainly, this is not uncommon, as any large database driven website needs
to have a similar setup (like eBay, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, etc.).  The
servers need to be setup in a cluster to provide the required
high-availability.  Also, replication will NOT work, as we need changes to
the database to be immediately available to everyone else, and managing 100
or more replicated databases would be a nightmare.

So, how do we get support in MySQL so that multiple instances of the mysqld
daemon running on separate machines can all access the same database files
located on a central server?  I can see how the file system of the central
database server could be exported through NFS (or something similar) so
that all the machines in the cluster can access the database files.  I also
imagine the daemons would need to have some sort of locking mechanism to
avoid stepping on each other.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks