Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
We have numerous identical tables with a varchar column that holds data like this: "0 0 0 1 0 1 0 25 7 0 139 0 9". Essentially there are a bunch of integers with a single space as a separator. There _should_ be no more than 30 entries ( and 29 spaces ), but sometimes the system misfires and there are more or less. Is there a MySQL solution to getting a count of the spaces present in the field, figuring that spaces + 1 will equal entries? It's fairly straight forward using a PHP application, but I'd like to get the DB server to accomplish this task. Not having much luck finding a solution in the manual.

You can find the number of spaces like this:

select length(col) - length(replace(col, ' ', ''))

Baron