This is an old old topic and one that causes more grief than it's worth and
I wish mySQL would just "fix" this bug (IMHO it *is* a bug) so it works as
people EXPECT it to work...

Search the archives for these topics:

"Erroneus column using MAX() and GROUP BY"
               and
"Help with subqueries... MAX() and GROUP BY"

Also these links may help.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/example-maximum-column-group-row.html

http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/12/07/how-to-select-the-firstleastmax-row-per
-group-in-sql/

The short answer is "no", or you have to use sub-selects, which in effect is
not one select and equally slow and painful.