Baron Schwartz wrote:
Hi Chris,

Chris Hemmings wrote:
Dan Buettner wrote:
Chris, a couple of thoughts -

First, your index on the section is doing you no good (at this time) since
all the values are the same.  You may already know that, but thought I'd
mention it.

Second, my theory on why query #1 is faster - if all your prices range from
1 up, and you're querying for prices greater than 0, then MySQL can just
return the first 30 rows after sorting them.

The second query, where you are looking for prices greater than 1, MySQL has
to sort and then examine a number of rows until it finds enough matching
rows (price > 1) to satisfy your query. This likely takes a little bit of time. How many rows do you have with price = 1? It would have to scan over that many before it could start satisfying your query, if you think about
it.

HTH,
Dan