There is a setting in your my.cnf which specifies the threshold at
which temporary tables will be put to disk instead of being held in
RAM.  This has to be a dynamic decision as the system has to consider
available RAM and the size of any given temporary table..  under
normal circumstances, the my.cnf setting will be respected, but it is
NOT a guarantee.

Have you read this?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-system-variables.html#option_mysqld_tmp_table_size

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman
 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.