Hi Jake !

Jake Conk wrote:
Hello,

Not sure if this is known or not but I just wanted to let you guys
know that MySQL 5.1.21 fails the make. I've never had this problem on
other versions of mysql. It looks like GNU make worked all the way
through but why won't regular make work anymore?

Thanks for the info !

The MySQL sources use the "autotools" (autoconf, automake etc) for building, so the "Makefile"s you see in the source tarball are really generated from "Makefile.am" when the source tarball is created.

It is easily possible that automake will create a Makefile which can be handled by GNU "make", but not by some others - on our build hosts, we install GNU make if needed. We did so on our FreeBSD 6.0 host.

I cannot say which change made the Makefiles unusable for BSD "make", but most likely using GNU make is easier for you than trying to work around that change.

As we use GNU make (almost ?) everywhere, changes in the fitness for other variants will go by unnoticed for the MySQL build team.

Sorry I cannot offer you any other hint,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com