Hello.

I have a question about the behavior of SELECT ... LIKE and dealing with the Korean language. For those who don't know anything about the way the language's characters are formulated, I'll give you a quick crash course:

Korean has its own alphabet, just like Japanese, Chinese and most other Asian languages. However, each Korean character in a word is actually a syllable composed of those alphabets. So ㅎ (H) + ㅏ (A) + ㄴ (N) = 한. (If the mailing list doesn't support Unicode/UTF-8, please tell me so I can direct you to a better example.)

But with the way Unicode works, it's not exactly like H is in the same block that HAN is represented in, especially in the Korean character table.

So here's the issue I'm having: I'm writing a Korean dictionary for myself. Basically, an application for adding words I've learned in my Korean lessons. But I'm having a problem with the LIKE part of the SELECT statement.

Essentially, I'd like to do the Korean equivalent of LIKE 'A%'. However, doing LIKE 'ㅎ%', when a word like 'hangul' (한글) is in the database, I get no results.

Obviously, creating a table of every combination of every character possible for each consonant in the Korean language is nonoptimal. So what can I do to solve this problem?