Hi Steve,

Steve Kiehl wrote:
I was a bit stumped on a good method to select the second record for each distinct group in a table. Say I have a table like the following:

NAME
    DATE
    AMOUNT
joe     2007-10-03 19:44:57     45
joe     2007-10-06 19:46:18     90
joe     2007-10-07 19:37:21     12
matt     2007-10-03 19:36:54     23
matt     2007-10-04 19:37:09     67
steve     2007-10-03 19:36:35     50
steve     2007-10-04 19:36:54     12
steve     2007-10-05 19:37:21     5

If I want the second date for each name in the table, how would I go about doing that? I've found it easy to get the first date for each name by a query like this:

SELECT name,MIN(date) FROM table GROUP BY name;

- or -

SELECT name,date FROM table GROUP BY name ORDER BY date;

I still am stumped on how I could get the record pertaining to the second date for each name in the table. Your thoughts?

You can use a variation on the techniques here:
http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/12/07/how-to-select-the-firstleastmax-row-per-group-in-sql/

Baron