Afan Pasalic wrote:
hi,
I have a employees table (first name, last_name, address, city, state, zip, phone,...). though, I got a requested to add additional info about people, like phone_extension, zip+4, nick, DOB... that will not be used very often.
what would be better solution:
a) add these columns to employees table
b) create separate table employees_addition_info with these fields and store info if any (with employee_id of course)

one friend of mine suggest me to keep all data in one table since the "empty" fields will be NULL and there will not be a lot of wasted space. specially because I'll never have more than 200K records (right now I have about 50K records). and "normalization" will not improve a lot?

any suggestions?

Keep the one table.
Unless you can make the case that all of those attributes can be logically grouped together, I'd keep them in the primary table to eliminate unnecessary joins. And as far as "normalizing", you're pretty much setting up tables employee_info_1 and employee_info_2 and when you end the table name or field name with a number, that's a big clue you're not normalizing the data.