I'm trying to set up a query, but I don't really get the result I expected, so can someone please help me out here?

The query I've built is this:

SELECT a1.username FROM accountuser AS a1
LEFT JOIN (freeaccounts AS f1, payments AS p1)
ON (a1.username = p1.username
AND p1.username = f1.username)
WHERE a1.username LIKE 'cit%'
AND a1.imp + a1.pp + a1.se + a1.auth != 0
AND (f1.free IS NULL OR f1.free = false)
AND (p1.validdate < UNIX_TIMESTAMP(NOW()) OR p1.validdate IS NULL)

The accountuser table is always fully populated.
The freeaccounts and payments tables are only occupied with the 'username' field if it's been used previously, so they may not contain any data.

What I expect to get from the query is 'username' from the accountuser table when:

The a1.username starts with 'cit',
AND
Any of a1.imp, a1.pp, a1.se or a1.auth is not 0,
AND
f1.free is either not populated or false.
AND
p1.validdate is either not populated, or the timestamp is before NOW.

Everything seems to work except for the passed time check. If I set p1.validdate to a timestamp for something next week, the username is still returned in the result.

Grateful for any hints...
Anders.