MySQL users,

Sorry for spamming mysql@lists.mysql.com, but you may be interested in my blog entry that complements our MySQL 5.1.22 announcement.

The Real Thing in HTML is on http://www.planetmysql.org/kaj/?p=131 and pasted below for offline reading.

MySQL 5.1.22 is out

A good two weeks ago, MySQL 5.1.22 was released. MySQL 5.1 is a new
release of MySQL Server, with new features like

* partitioning (likely the top feature in 5.1)
* events (”crontab” triggers in the database)
* row-based replication
* table logs
* some XML functions

and also with major bug fixes, such as the AUTO_INCREMENT table-lock
contention in InnoDB (fixed now in 5.1.22), as well as early indications
of performance improvements of up to 20 % - 40 % on dual cores in some
scenarios.

Jay Pipes has written an overview that compresses all of the pointers to
5.1 into one article, MySQL 5.1 Article Recap. I recommend you read it.
I also recommend the manual section What’s New in MySQL 5.1.

With 5.1.22, MySQL also changed the maturity state to “RC”, Release
Candidate. Looking at our own Support Policies, Release Candidate (aka
Gamma) release is defined as follows:

Release Candidate binaries, also known as Gamma releases, are believed
stable, having passed all of MySQL’s internal testing, and with all
known fatal runtime bugs fixed. However this release has not been in
widespread use long enough to know for sure that all bugs have been
identified.

However, we recognise that this particular RC does not fit the
definition exactly. We still have some fatal runtime bugs left. We are
producing an errata list of these, and expect to have the list ready and
published on by 23 Oct 2007. We know that we should have published this
list together with the RC itself, and we are now working as fast as we
can to fix this.

We know we have thus released our RC too early according to our own
standards, and we are doing our best to fix it. We apologise for any
inconvenience/miscommunication and are working on improving our internal
guidelines to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

That said, 5.1.22 is a great release, one that we’re proud of, and very
likely worthy of your attention!

Kaj
--
Kaj Arnö <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>