Daevid Vincent wrote:
Nope. I've only ever use mySQL. I only ever care to use mySQL. mySQL puts in
plenty of other features that no other RDBMS has or uses, and other RDBMS
have features that mySQL has, so what's the problem. Unless I was porting
to/from another RDBMS?

This strikes me as a *terrible* reason.

It seems stupid that I can't do that though. I can
use the alias in the HAVING clause, and also in an ORDER BY clause.

Yes, but those are HAVING and ORDER BY clauses. You recognise that they
are distinct parts of a SELECT statement, so ...

I'm not saying it's a trivial change

So far, i'd say that you're suggesting it is.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-views.html

brian