On 10/24/07, Eric Frazier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
js wrote:
Hi list,

Reading How AUTO_INCREMENT Handling Works in InnoDB[1] makes me
wonder how is it possible to replicate AUTO_INCREMENTed value to slaves.

According to the doc,

"If you specify an AUTO_INCREMENT column for an InnoDB table, the
table handle in the InnoDB data dictionary contains a special counter
called the auto-increment counter that is used in assigning new values
for the column. This counter is stored only in main memory, not on
disk."

Let's say there are two server, A and B. A replicates its data to B, the slave.
A and B has a table that looks like(column 'id' is auto_increment field)

id value
1  a
2  b
3  c
4  d

If After "delete from table where id = 4" and restart mysqld on server B,
"insert into table (value) values(e)" is executed on server A.

In this case, because A's internal counter is 4, table on A would be
1 a
2 b
3 c
5 e

But B's would be different because restarting mysqld flushed InnoDB's
internal counter.
1 a
2 b
3 c
4 e

Is this correct?
or MySQL is smart enough to handle this problem?

Thanks.

[1]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/innodb-auto-increment-handling.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/faqs-general.html  See 28.1.5

But there are more reasons to avoid auto-increment in mysql. I haven't
run into the problem above, but I have had such problems when restoring
backups. Make your data make sense, a mindless counting number just to
make a table unique doesn't every make any sense. Session ids,
timestamps, combinations of fields all make much better primary keys and
it is safer overall to implement a "counter" function in your app than
to trust mysql's

js wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

But I couldn't under stand how --auto-increment-increment and
--auto-increment-offset
helps me avoid my problem.

Could you please explain?

Restarting the server doesn't reset autoinc.. But that can happen when you restore a backup, I don't remember what to avoid of the top of my head, but look into mysqldump and do some tests. Best way to understand.... But, you can avoid any problem with autoinc by just not using it. If you must use it for replication it is quite safe to use it if you are only replicating to a slave write only, so the slave is not also another master(you are not doing inserts/updates on the slave as well), or if you need to replicate in a circle use auto-increment-increment etc. I think it is not a bad idea to use these even if your slave is just a slave.

Bottom line, if you are designing a DB, for max safety avoid autoinc entirely. It will save you headaches for a little extra work to start. This is one area where MySQL still deserves some jeering because Postgress had this figured out a long time ago with proper sequences that are a lot easier to mange. With all of the features and cool stuff MySQL has added in the last few years, I don't get why they haven't fixed autoinc or added a true sequence type.

Eric