I have an application which will be inserting and then deleting many thousands of rows per hour within a single table. It essentially queues and then handles requests from a series of processes, deleting the requests after they've been dealt with.

Our MySQL 5.0.45 server is set up to use InnoDB tables by default, in a single tablespace. Would MyISAM tables be a better fit for this type of application? The database server is used for other applications so the impact of this application on the others is a concern we have.

Also, in terms of speed or server load, would it be better to mark records deleted and then periodically (say once an hour) run a delete query, or would this approach not make a difference?