Rob Wultsch wrote:
On 10/26/07, Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Aaron Fischer wrote:
Thanks Peter and Baron, these both worked well.

The "left join on" took .1919 seconds and the "left outer join as" took
.1780 seconds.
They are synonymous in MySQL.  The only difference is 6 extra characters
in the query text.  The difference was probably due to caches.

Baron

Out of curiosity which cache are you referring to?

3.23 does not have query cache. Are you referring to key, table, or some
other cache? (or all of the above?)

I would think that the key and table cache would not be effected by the
addition of an optional word that does not affect how the query is
processed...

Where is my understanding incorrect or incomplete?

I'm referring to the operating system's caches. Really such a small difference isn't significant anyway -- who knows what was happening on the server at that time. But running a query, then running it again, will often be at least a tiny bit faster the second time because the data has been read from disk into the OS caches.

The query cache (in newer versions) wouldn't help because the queries aren't byte-for-byte identical.

If one did a proper benchmark on these two queries and found any difference at all aside from "six extra bytes", I'd be very surprised.