huh. it's a varchar(50) on table1 and a varchar(50) on table2. i wonder why explain is reporting 150 as key_len?

utf8?

yes. that does make sense.

is there anything else i can investgate?

Do you need utf8? :-)

yes. it's an internationalized application :)

Check your cache hits. I can't remember if you said, but is it an InnoDB table? I'm guessing MyISAM since you have a 2G key buffer.

yes. we do have some tables as innodb - those that get many many inserts and don't require any count(*) queries which as i understand it are slow in innodb - if there's some reason that this kind of query would be faster under innodb i'm happy to give it a try...

Check key_read_requests and key_reads for the query (mysql-query-profiler is a handy way to do this).

awesome. i will look into it.