Hi !

Devi wrote:
Hi,

I'm running only MySQL in that machine. That's why i can't understand why it consumes only 50% of CPU. Interestingly its nice% is also 0.

Like any other user program
(as seen from the operating system point of view),
the MySQL server will use all CPU cycles it is granted by the OS if

1) it has got tasks to do (commands from the application clients) *and*

2) it has got the necessary data available.

For 1), check your client machines and the network: If they cannot produce or transfer the commands as fast as the server can handle them, the server will have idle times.

For 2), check the amount of "waiting for I/O": If the database server started some I/O operation, it may have to wait for that to finish before it can continue.

I mean only if MySQL utilizes the full CPU, i can estimate the performance of
MySQL for different Client Applications.

This depends on the type of environment you are checking:
If you had an infinitely fast CPU, you would always be limited by the disks (even if all data were in RAM, you could not change them faster then your log writing speed), so there are situations where a 100 % CPU usage would imply either a slow CPU or bad code.

HTH,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Office:  (+49 30) 417 01 487     VoIP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]