One possible explanation (possibly not the only one): if you do a
massive update on the master, that transaction would need to create
many blocks of versioned data. If you roll that transaction back,
those blocks will be freed to be reused, but the datafiles won't
shrink.

Since that transaction wasn't commited, it won't be written to the
binary log, so it won't be executed and rolled back on the slave
(that's only true when all tables involved on a transaction are
transaction-safe tables).

--
Augusto Bott