Tim Johnson wrote:
It isn't "broken," per se.
When you say that it isn't "broken", could you please elaborate?

Once again: It seems to me that you're seeing a purposeful choice of configuration. It could very well be that the configuration makes sense in some one's use. The fact that it breaks for you doesn't mean the configuration makes no sense.

I don't know for a fact that this is what's going on. I don't use Ubuntu. I'm just trying to find an explanation for why it is the way it is.

   And thanks in advance, because, from where I'm sitting, time is money
   and I know that it takes time to answers these emails.

I'm glad you see that, but why then are you continuing to argue back and forth instead of going to mysql.com and getting a different set of binaries to try? You could have done that about five times in the time it's took to have this exchange. Even if it didn't work, we'd be farther along towards a solution by now.