You would need to have an auto_increment field and your primary key would be the item id (or what you call it) field + the auto_increment field. Mysql will then handle incrementing the field if there is already a record with the same item id. Usually the auto_increment field will contain 1. This gives you a unique sequence for each "group" of records. I'm almost positive this only works on MyISAM fields since InnoDB gets the increment number once on startup not on insert.