I assume your collation on the database table 'city' is utf8_general_ci
And also check the columns of the database table 'city' to ensure they are also
utf8_general_ci.

The database, its tables, and the tables individual columns can all have a
different collation.

Last, ensure that you set utf8 for your client connection as well.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-connection.html

-RG