Ok, i don't get it.

I have the following query:
SELECT
SUM(quant)
FROM
movement_items
LEFT OUTER JOIN movements ON movements.id = movement_items.movement_id
WHERE
item_id = 21311
AND
movements.type_id = 1

where 'movement_items' has about 1.3M rows, and 'movements' about 0.5M rows.

EXPLAIN gives me the following:
+----+-------------+----------------+--------+---------------------+---------+---------+-----------------------------------+------+-------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra |
+----+-------------+----------------+--------+---------------------+---------+---------+-----------------------------------+------+-------------+
| 1 | SIMPLE | movement_items | ref | movement_id,item_id | item_id | 5 | const | 2327 | Using where | | 1 | SIMPLE | movements | eq_ref | PRIMARY,type_id | PRIMARY | 4 | pague9.movement_items.movement_id | 1 | Using where |
2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

which seems ok to me (2327 rows to examine should be a breeze, right?)

Now, my problem: sometimes, this query takes up to 10 seconds to complete. So I'm trying to optimize the hell out of it - but, the (usually) first time i run this query, it's slow, but the subsequent times it's fast enough (aprox. 0.1 secs), which isn't exactly helpful for optimizing. So i tried to FLUSH QUERY CACHE, but it's still 'too fast'. Even when after the table gets updated, it's still fast. But, after a couple of minutes, out of the blue, the query crawls again, for no apparent reason i can find.

Thus, my questions:
- what's wrong with that query? I know they are big tables, but according to EXPLAIN, this should be fast enough, because mysql's seeing the indexes just fine.

- how can i tell mysql to switch off whatever cache or performance thing it is that makes debugging such a PITA? is there a way to disable it just for this query? (SELECT SQL_NO_CACHE doesn't seem to make a difference)

thanks,

M.