How much power do you want?

We migrated from Oracle to MySQL because to get enough power from Oracle 8/9i,
we had to buy an extremely powerful machine.
We had oracle on a sun solaris 9 box, and got X amount of power out of it.

On a similar machine we installed MySQL and we got XX amount of power out of it.
We choose MySQL because we can get more power out of it on a simple server than
we did with Oracle. And MySQL was more flexible.

Additionally, data management is easier for us on MySQL.

We house dozens of organizations on MySQL servers. Each org either shares a db
server, or they get their own db servers.

In fact we are now installing MySQL on xen/linux systems and are able to
reallocate memory and CPU to xen servers if they need more, rather than having
to upgrade hardware in machines.

When CPU amd memory start to top on a machine, we look at the queries and
optimize them. That usually fixes anything that slows down the server.

Our typical xen linux system is 8GB dual-ranked memory Intel 3GHz 1333FSB
Quad-core CPU 4MB-Cache. You want to get memory that matches the CPU FSB, or as
close to it as possible. We use the RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux).

I think many people find other non-intel systems perform better for Oracle - But
that is because those systems are optimized at sale point. If the Intel system
hardware is configured well, it will perform just as good with MySQL.

And you can always migrate from MySQL to Oracle later if you really find that
you need to.
Tell your employer, if they want to pad the bottom line, they should use
inexpensive MySQL and spend some of the savings optimizing the Web Application.
Use Java grid technology, and load balance your read-only SQL queries (look at
Free Sequoia - https://forge.continuent.org/projects/sequoia )

-RG