Hi Jim

it seems that you cannot create an index with a function soyou will need to
establish a separate 12 character column which has all of the URL entries
insertedalphabetically in ascending order (fully padded with www. prefix)backup
your DBALTER TABLE table ADD TwelveCharacterURL CHAR(12),
                  ADD FOREIGN KEY 12CharacterIndex (TwelveCharacterURL);
UPDATE TABLE TABLE set TwelveCharacterURL=(LPAD(OldURLColumn,12,'www.'));

Anyone else?
Martin ______________________________________________Disclaimer and
confidentiality noteEverything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to
the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature
and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended
recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this
transmission.> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: mysql@lists.mysql.com> Subject:
Unusual sort> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:29:50 -0700> > I have a table
containing web site host names, most of them having both a > "name.com" and
"www.name.com" version, that I'd like sorted in the > following manner:> >
axxx.com> www.axxx.com> bxxx.com> www.bxxx.com> wxxx.com> www.wxxx.com>
zxxx.com> www.zxxx.com> > Any way to do this? > > > -- > MySQL General Mailing