The relevant options are...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ mysqld --help --verbose | grep default
--no-defaults           Don't read default options from any options file
--defaults-file=#       Only read default options from the given file #
--defaults-extra-file=# Read this file after the global files are read

I would suggest using the --defaults-extra-file to refer to a defaults
file that has only the settings you want.  But this is roughly
equivalent to restarting with the --replicate-XXX options manually
specified, no?  You might also look into the Instance Manager, which
could give you some more ideas.

I'm being vague because I don't know what I'm talking about :-)