I've been experimenting with storing image data in blob fields, and I was
surprised that using the mysql client to select the field with a
semi-colon query terminator resulted in the binary data being dumped to
the terminal (with lots of beeping) while using the \G query terminator
resulted in just a few symbols such as

imgdata: ëPNG
?
(where imgdata is the field name) and no beeps.

I'm _not_ surprised with the beeps due to trying to view the binary data,
just the disparity in behavior when using the different terminators.

I've been searching the manual for about an hour now and can't seem to
find a reference to this difference in behavior in the mysql client.

Nothing urgent here. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this
as I've always gotten the same results either way, though I'm certainly no
expert using blob data types.

Thanks,

David