  From: B. Keith Murphy
  To: Dan Buettner
  Cc: David Campbell ; MySql
  Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:55 AM
  Subject: Re: preferred way to backup a 20GB MySQL database

  I would echo what Dan says.  In addition, from the slave server, you
  might look at running the new mysql-parallel-dump tool that Baron
  Schwartz has developed.  It essentially does a dump with a thread
  running (by default) for each CPU core you have.  A dual core box will
  run two threads and dump roughly twice as fast as a normal mysqldump.
  In addition, it compresses the output making it much more compact.  He
  has renamed the toolkit to Maatkit and it is available at
  http://maatkit.sourceforge.net/.

  Also, you might look into using an LVM snapshot to run the copy from.
  That way it doesn't interfere with your operations as much.  I do that
  for some of our production slave servers myself.

  Keith

  Dan Buettner wrote:
  > I'd strongly recommend setting up replication, and then taking your backups
  > from the replica.
  >
  > mysqlhotcopy works great, I used it for years myself, but it does require
  > "freezing" your database while the copy happens.  And no matter how you do
  > it, copying 20 GB takes a little bit of time.
  >
  > Dan
  >
  > On Nov 27, 2007 4:35 PM, David Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  >

  >> Andras Kende wrote:
  >>
  >>> Hi,
  >>>
  >>> What is the preferred way to backup a 20GB database daily,
  >>> without taking offline ?
  >>>
  >>> MySQL 4.1 MyISAM - (will be updated to MySQL 5)
  >>>
  >>> 133 table(s)  Sum 115,416,561  latin1_swedish_ci  20.1 GB
  >>>

  >> Mysqlhotcopy
  >>
  >> --

  Keith Murphy

  editor: MySQL Magazine