On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:43:25AM -0700, Kenneth Kopelson wrote:

> Thank you Steve, I appreciate your response :) I have considered
> modifying MySQL to do what I have asked for, but I didn't want to do
> that until I verified it wasn't already available somewhere.  I'll
> bet this feature is something that others would be interested in as
> well.
>
> On the note of what eBay and others are using, do you have a
> suggestion of a database that would do what we are wanting, and also
> be as efficient as MySQL is?

Oh, so you want to eat your cake, too? :-)

> I really like MySQL's many features like regular expressions in
> queries, the fact that you can easily retrieve the auto-increment
> value that was used on an INSERT (not an easy task on others DBs I
> have used), and many other features.

And don't forget it's lack of BLOAT.

> Perhaps an open-source project to add "shared DB" capabilities would
> be something worth starting.  I myself am a C++ developer with over
> 23 years experience, so maybe I can join with some others who are
> interested, and we can start a project.  If anyone on this list
> would be interested in discussing the possibilities of joining in
> such an effort, please let me know.

That'd be an appropriate dicussion to conduct over on the
mysql-internals list. The folks there would be glad to discuss how and
where you'd need to code the changes that you might need.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.29: up 8 days, processed 51,023,731 queries (67/sec. avg)