On Dec 12, 2007, at 8:03 PM, jekillen wrote:

On Dec 12, 2007, at 6:41 PM, Ken Menzel wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "jekillen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: mysqld startup failure

jekillen wrote:
Hello:
The saga of this machine continues:
FreeBSD v6.2
latest mysql version installed from ports:
mysql51 client, serve, and scripts.
There is no /usr/local/mysql
it did not create this dir.

No idea where it should put the files, a freebsd list might be able to point you in the right direction.

Try /usr/local/var/mysql

<snip>

/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/general_log.frm' (errno: 13) 071121 15:04:38 [ERROR] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13) 071121 15:04:38 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
071121 15:04:38  mysqld ended
where is './mysql/ (etc)? the ./ tells me it is relative to /usr/local/libexec I have followed the published instruction steps to configure build and install from source dist and it specifies that data dir should be change to owner mysql but where is the data dir. It is not in /var, unless it is supposed to be in /var/db (where I found the hostname error file). Errno: 13 means access denied as I understand it. So what dir and files do I change privileges for, if that is in fact,
the problem?

Yep 13 means permission problems (run 'perror 13' at your prompt).

The data dir should be owned by the mysql user & group.

mysqld --print-defaults

should tell you everything you need.

I totally forgot about this message and even now, I am looking at it with surprise because it looks like a message I may have sent on the same problem on this machine a year or
so ago.
There has been a happy ending, though, finally, I dumped everything and started over with mysql from ports. It is up and running now. After four major attempts, even re-installing FreeBSD at on time. I have three other machines running FreeBSD and two installed from source, bypassing ports and one from ports with no problems. I do not know why I
had so much trouble with this one.
One question, though, is it possible to create a mysql user with no login access? I mean what is to stop someone from cracking the MySQL account the way any other account might be cracked? (This is just admission of my novice, or apprentice admin level). Editorial: why not have apprenticeships for Linux/Unix administers with all the software categories and then journeyman, and then master status. like trades, instead of paying many G's of $ for a college education just to start from the bottom in customer service or something? I have a decent, honest, if not straight A high school education and am doing self study for virtually no pay, though I have designed and manage web sites for a few customers including my own. I just turned 59 last October. I make $30,000/year in my regular trade.
Thanks for the response
Jeff K

I remember now, I did not actually run make install. Dumb mistake, all is well now.
Jeff K