Okay, I've convinced myself that this can't be done.  In the http world,
it can be done only because http/1.1 includes the hostname in the request.
If mysql doesn't do that, there's no way to handle all the cases.

So I'll either have to settle for people remembering their own socket
files, or ...

I would settle for a single shared database in which users could create
databases and drop their own databases but not other users'.  They'll have
to live with namespace collisions.

Is that possible to do with mysql's permissions?

Thanks.
--Ryan