On 20.12.2007 19:42 CE(S)T, Yves Goergen wrote:
> But when I set that column to NULL
> with phpMyAdmin, my application still reads the old data from the
> database. phpMyAdmin keeps telling me that the value is actually NULL,
> which I just entered. Whereas the persistent PHP connection doesn't see
> the new data and keeps reading the previous one.

Here's more facts: My application disables autocommit mode right at the
beginning. I thought this would be a good compatibility measure to make
MySQL more similar to the "big" DBMS where my app should also run later.
And each of my writing operations is done in a separate transaction that
is started and commited (or rolled back) with PDO's methods which should
not be too much different from the corresponding SQL statements.

I thought that disabling autocommit mode makes no difference at all,
when I only write to the DB inside of transactions, but when I remove
that line from my code, the bug seems to go away. Here's my theory:

* Disabling autocommit starts a new transaction, according to the MySQL
manual. When I then start my own transaction, I'm at level 2. MySQL
needs to support nested transactions for this to work out. A COMMIT
statement will only commit the innermost transaction.

* When I start a transaction and then write something to a table which
is later overwritten from another thread, I still see my own data as
long as the outermost transaction is not finished. Also, data that I
write in a transaction must not be locked and can be overwritten from
another thread.

If this is both true, I see that this is my fault. I write the new
HtmlContent, then phpMyAdmin sets it NULL again but my app still sees
what it has just written (because of the persistent transaction over
multiple requests).

However, if MySQL doesn't support nested transactions or data written in
a transaction will be locked, this is not an explanation for what I
experience.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>