I'm using pretty standard approach to sorting search results by relevancy:

SELECT DISTINCT product_name,
MATCH (keywords) AGAINST ('CONSOLIDATED* 16* bearing*' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AS
rate
FROM _TT
WHERE MATCH ( keywords ) AGAINST ('CONSOLIDATED* 16* bearing*' IN BOOLEAN
MODE ) >0
ORDER BY rate DESC

It works fine as long as the quantity of results is not big. Once the
quantity is about 50,000 and more (I have a very big database) the query
starts working way too slow. Total number of records is about 4 million. It
takes about 2 sec when there are 50,000 records in the result but at the
same time it takes only about 0.006 sec without ORDER BY clause.

I understand that ORDER BY is time consuming but maybe someone knows a
different way to have sorting by relevancy.

Thanks in advance!