Thank you Erik!

HDs are OK, a couple of GB free. Not that it's a lot, but I can't imagine
it being too low for MySQL..

I'm aware memory is a bit low, but RAMBUS chips are hard to come by. They
don't have them in stock anywhere anymore. Also they are quite expensive.
It's almost like you could've bought 1/3rd of a new cheap Dell server for
2x512MB RAMBUS. But if a new box for a reasonable price wouldn't be any
faster it's no use anyway...

Concerning slow queries, it seems there's a couple of different queries
that's being logged.

This is one, taking 66 seconds:

# Query_time: 66  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 15857680
SELECT word_id
                                FROM phpbb_search_wordmatch
                                GROUP BY word_id
                                HAVING COUNT(word_id) > 263916;

Usual time for this seems to be from 12 to 66 seconds.

And then there's this, usually taking 10-20 seconds:

# Query_time: 12  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 10  Rows_examined: 395960
SELECT t.*, u.username, u.user_id, u2.username as user2, u2.user_id as
id2, p.post_username, p2.post_username AS post_username2, p2.post_time,
f.forum_name
                                FROM phpbb_topics t, phpbb_users u,
phpbb_posts p, phpbb_posts p2, phpbb_users
u2, phpbb_forums f
                                WHERE t.topic_poster = u.user_id
                                AND t.forum_id NOT IN (16, 17)
                                AND p.post_id = t.topic_first_post_id
                                AND p2.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id
                                AND t.forum_id = f.forum_id
                                AND u2.user_id = p2.poster_id

                                AND t.topic_status <> 1
                                AND t.topic_status <> 2

                                ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC
                                LIMIT 10;

In the evenings there seems to be 10-20 slow queries every hour, time
between them varying from seconds to usually 5-10 minutes.

Cheers,

Gunnar

On fre, januar 4, 2008, 05:55, Erik Giberti wrote:
> [...]
> overall) of system resources.
> Your system processes are taking up 66.2% (of 200% or 33% overall)
> and it's leaving about 14% (of 200% - so 7% overall) of the system idle.
> The remainders are I/O waits etc (your numbers look pretty good there,
> but IO wait can spike and so may be misleading without using other
> tools.
>
> You may be encountering a thrashing problem with the amount of memory
> left or any number of things, but I would look at memory use on this
> box, because your load is pretty high and your performance is
> suffering if it's staying there. Your memory is at about 92% utilized
> too... while 91Mb seems like a lot of memory - it's easily consumed by
> a couple of large queries, sorts and so on which then goes right to
> disk swapping for virtual memory - never good for performance. It
> might also be impacted by IO and you just can't see it in the one
> slice of top we have here. If that number spikes up to 5% and then
> falls back down - it might be time spent going to disk with temp
> tables etc.
>
> Also turn on slow query logging (yes, I know it's another performance
> hit) and see if there is one query that's particularly problematic,
> perhaps optimizing the indexes etc on the table might help with the
> performance.
>
> Also, make sure your HD's aren't full... that will kill performance
> very quickly if the needed disk space isn't there.
>
> Erik
>

> On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Gunnar R. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks. I read the document, but unfortunately it didn't tell me
>> anything
>> new..
>>
>> One of the things I am a bit confused about is:
>>
>> top - 22:08:12 up 6 days,  7:23,  1 user,  load average: 4.36, 3.30,
>> 2.84
>> Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>> Cpu0  : 61.3% us, 29.1% sy,  0.0% ni,  7.9% id,  0.7% wa,  0.3% hi,
>> 0.7% si
>> Cpu1  : 57.0% us, 37.1% sy,  0.0% ni,  6.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
>> 0.0% si
>> Mem:   1034280k total,   942780k used,    91500k free,    34252k
>> buffers
>> Swap:  2031608k total,      104k used,  2031504k free,   278788k
>> cached
>>
>>  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>> 2410 mysql     15   0  470m 310m 4464 S 99.9 30.8   4200:25 mysqld
>>
>> How come the CPUs can have idle time even though mysqld is running at
>> 99.9%, AND there's a processor queue (4.36)?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Gunnar R.
>>
>> On ons, januar 2, 2008, 13:07, Andrew Braithwaite wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you can follow this document:
>>>
>>> http://www.ufsdump.org/papers/uuasc-june-2006.pdf
>>>
>>> You should be able to figure out what's happening.

>>> MySQL (5.0.45) seems to be the problem. It's almost constantly
>>> running
>>> at