heh.. a little problem with this is that i'm going to do all of this remotely.

I was thinking on doing a mysqldump with the compress flag.

Anything to say about mysql migration tools? can it be used to do the
job more efficiently?

Its just that the db is in high use and i don't want to lock the
tables for too long or stuff like that.

On Jan 24, 2008 2:00 PM, Simon Elliston Ball
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Probably safest to do a mysqldump, either piped into a client on the
> new server (we've always found it's better to pipe the dump through
> ssh into a client running on the destination server, since it seems to
> make the protocol a little more robust). Make sure your max packet
> size is not too big though, it can lead to server gone away errors if
> it takes a long time to replay a packet on the destination. If you
> have the spare disk kicking about, or if the network link between the
> machines is poor, you can always do the dump to regular media, and
> user sneaker net.
>
> Simon
>

> Simon Elliston Ball
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> On 24 Jan 2008, at 11:42, Ivan Levchenko wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > What would be the best way to transfer a 20 gig db from one host to
> > another?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your answers!
> >
> > --
> > Best Regards,