You can expect your PHP binaries to work just fine.  The last major
upgrade of the client protocol was between 4.0 and 4.1, so 4.1
compatible clients can use 5.0 without trouble.

When you say: export db/import db, you must be careful about your
method.  Upgrading version by moving binary data (ie. the
data-directory files) is NOT recommended.  Export to CSV format is
probably the fastest option available to you if there is a lot of
data..  if the amount of data is manageable, mysqldump will do.

On Jan 24, 2008 11:29 AM, thomas Armstrong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> I've got mySQL 4.1.22 installed from sources on Linux
> ---
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> ----
>
> and PHP 4.4.2 installed from sources
> -------
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
> --------
>
> I want to upgrade mySQL from 4.1.22 to 5.0.5 by doing:
> 1) export DB
> 2) stop mySQL daemon
> 3) mv /usr/local/mysql /usr/local/mysq.4
> 4) install mySQL 5.0.5 (./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql)
> 5) start mySQL daemon
> 5) import DB
>
> Does PHP 4.4 work with mySQL 5.0 or must I upgrade mySQL libraries?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --

 - michael dykman
 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.