We have just moved to a new machine where we are running MySQL 5.0.45. On the old machine we were running MySQL 4.0.15a. The following query worked in 4.0.15a but gives an error mesage in 5.0.45. We're pretty sure the problem is with the left join. Did anything change?

Here's the query:
select distinct depts.dept_code, depts.sci_id, hr.title,hr.fname,hr.lname, aptb.entry_date from depts, hr left join crdepts aptb on depts.dept_code=aptb.dept_code where depts.sci_id=hr.sci_id && depts.dept_code=90;

which gives the error:
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'depts.dept_code' in 'on clause'

When I take out the left join and give the query
select distinct depts.dept_code, depts.sci_id, hr.title,hr.fname,hr.lname, aptb.entry_date from depts, hr, crdepts aptb where depts.dept_code=aptb.dept_code and depts.sci_id=hr.sci_id && depts.dept_code=90;

I get a proper result.

Did anything change with left join?
Thanks for any help.

Malki Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
Rehovot, Israel 76100
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]