Hi,

Option 2 will not work.  InnoDB has background threads that continue
to change data even when the database is "quiet".

This is a simplification.  The details are too complicated to write in
this thread, but there's an entire chapter on this topic in the book
I'm writing right now, High Performance MySQL 2nd Edition :-)  Suffice
to say you *can* take backups by copying files with InnoDB, but you
have to know what you're doing.  You should use an LVM snapshot to get
a consistent point-in-time snapshot of the files.

You might try using mylvmbackup.

Baron