On Jan 30, 2008 12:50 PM, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> Is it possible to add to the syntax of the INSERT operator appoximately
> in such way:
> SELECT list INSERT [IGNORE] INTO ... - an added one.
> SELECT list UPDATE .... - an added one.

> PS: I understand that adding the changes into a language is a very
> serious question that needs a great discussion but one never can tell,
> may be mysql developers will be interested in my proposal ;)

I think it would be a good idea to look at the way other databases can
do this and see if there is some common syntax that could also be
implemented by MySQL. For instance PostgreSQL implements a INSERT /
UPDATE / DELETE ... RETURNING ... statement. ISTM that is exactly the
functionality you want, but with a different syntax. If there are no
other (better) competing implementation syntaxes (I don't know any,
but maybe other list members do), I would like MySQL to adopt the
PostgreSQL example.

Jochem