From: "Michael Cole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: Decimal - Maximum is 30

On Friday 01 February 2008 7:32:33 am Warren Young wrote:
The average grain of sand is a bit smaller than a millimeter. There are
a million millimeters per kilometer.

10^11 * 10^13 * 10^6 = 10^30

In other words, the current system is sufficient for establishing the
location of every grain of sand in the universe at this scale. If we
rescale by making use of the digits we're allowed to the left of the
decimal point, we can probably describe the location of every atom in
the universe instead. You must be working on something absolutely
mind-blowing for this amount of precision to be insufficient.
I think you missed something in your formula,

You just have a 1 dimension dealt with here.

That would be every grain in that line.

But when i first read the statement before i had the same conclusion that
10^30 would normally be enough for anyone, I noticed years ago Nasa used
MYSQL -2000 to be exact..

NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL
In November a team at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center finished the
transition of the NASA Acquisition Internet Service (NAIS) from Oracle to
MySQL. NAIS sends e-mail notifications to users based on specified interests
and enables users to query the Web site (nais.nasa.gov) for updated
opportunities.
Dwight Clark, project leader of NAIS, claims to have noticed an increase in
speed of performance without experiencing any problems.
The switch to Open Source software was primarily driven by costs, and MySQL
was found to be the most robust product available. The President's
Information Technology Advisory Committee recommended in September that the
federal government encourage open-source software as an alternative for
software development for high-end computing and allow open-source
development
efforts to compete on a "level playing field" with proprietary solutions in
government procurements.
Read the whole story at Federal Computer Week:
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2000/1204/pol-nasa-12-04-00.asp