Hi,

when you connect using mysql auto-rehash is enabled as default. It will read
and open the tables in the database when you try to use the database. It may
take time for database with many tables. use mysql with -A or --no-auto-rehash.

shell> mysql -uroot -A
shell> mysql -uroot --skip-auto-rehash

Saravanan
MySQL DBA