Hello MySQL List,

Thanks Ken and HongKong0888 for the advice and suggestions.

I hate when these kinds of problems just "fade away" with no
resolution or analysis of the resolved issue. So, with that,
here is the explanation for what caused THIS particular
problem (can you say user error?).

In researching the error message itself, I found ONE relatively OBSCURE
reference to making a change in the connect call to the database that
fixed their problem but what they did to resolve their problem was not
directly applicable to my situation BUT it got me to thinking in the
right direction.

The MySQL connection class that was implemented by the software I am working
on is pretty much the "standard" mysql connection class that is pretty
ubiquitous in PHP applications with the exception that the developers
chose to suppress any connect errors with a preceding @ sign at the beginning
of the call (this is in addition to other conditionals they have elsewhere
to control the error displays in the browser). I decided to see if removing
it would give me better information about the nature of the error.

When I tried to access the site again, I got an error message on the
screen that it didn't know what database connection it was suppose to
make. When I looked at the path variable it was trying to use, I saw
that it was completely wrong because the variable definitions were
missing from the configuration file.

Basically, I upgraded the software but not the configuration file
which significantly changed on the new version I was installing.

Oops! I had assumed that they were the same.

Lesson Learned: Shortcuts and Assumptions can and do bite! The error
message that displays may not have ANYTHING to do with the cause of
the problem. In this case, the error stated is completely bogus
relative to the cause of the problem, i.e. red herring.

So, that's my story and hope it helps someone prevent premature
baldness from troubleshooting obscure database problems... 8-)

--
Best regards,
 mikesz                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]