James;

> This finds common rows.

Eh!? ... HAVING COUNT(*)=1 returns ONLY pairs that are different:

drop table if exists a,b;
create table a(i int,j int,k int);
insert into a values(1,10,100),(2,20,200),(3,30,300);
create table b select * from a;
update b set k=301 where k=300;
select * from a;
+------+------+------+
| i    | j    | k    |
+------+------+------+
|    1 |   10 |  100 |
|    2 |   20 |  200 |
|    3 |   30 |  300 |
+------+------+------+
select * from b;
+------+------+------+
| i    | j    | k    |
+------+------+------+
|    1 |   10 |  100 |
|    2 |   20 |  200 |
|    3 |   30 |  301 |
+------+------+------+
SELECT
 MIN(TableName) as TableName, i,j,k
 FROM (
   SELECT 'Table a' as TableName, a.i, a.j, a.k
   FROM a
   UNION ALL
   SELECT 'Table b' as TableName, b.i, b.j, b.k
   FROM b
) AS tmp
GROUP BY i,j,k
HAVING COUNT(*) = 1
ORDER BY i;
+-----------+------+------+------+
| TableName | i    | j    | k    |
+-----------+------+------+------+
| Table a   |    3 |   30 |  300 |
| Table b   |    3 |   30 |  301 |
+-----------+------+------+------+

PB

-----

From: Peter Brawley

>I'd like to run a query to find the records that
>are present in one database but not the other.

See 'Compare data in two tables' at http://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/queries.php.

Thanks.  That's a start.

SELECT
 MIN(TableName) as TableName, id, col1, col2, col3, ...
FROM (
 SELECT 'Table a' as TableName, a.id, a.col1, a.col2, a.col3, ...
 FROM a
 UNION ALL
 SELECT 'Table b' as TableName, b.id, b.col1, b.col2, b.col3, ...
 FROM b
) AS tmp
GROUP BY id, col1, col2, col3, ...
HAVING COUNT(*) = 1
ORDER BY ID;

This finds common rows. That doesn't help when the tables have about 20,000 rows and most are the same. How do I invert the query so that I can find the 'uncommon' rows? Second, the primary key ('id' in the example) values do not match, so how/where in the query can you specify how to match rows from the two tables using other columns?