bruce a écrit :
Hi..

Fairly new to mysql, in particular tuning.

I have a test mysql db, on a test server. I've got a test app that runs on
multiple servers, with each test app, firing/accessing data from the central
db server.

the central server is on a 2GHz, 1GMem, 100G system. MySQL is the basic app.
the remote/test apps are doing basic selects/inserts, with a few basic
select.. group/order by.

the db schema appears to be pretty straight forward, with primary/unique
fields. keep in mind, i'm not a dba!!!

the my.cnf file is pretty basic. there has been a modification for the
"key_buffer_table" entry...

my issue, is that when i examine the central mysql (show processlist) i see
a number of connections (~10) with the majority being in a "sleep" status..
However, when i then check the OS, using "top", i see that mysql is running,
consuming ~ 80-90% of the cpu cycles...

so, i'm trying to figure out how to diagnose/solve this issue.

any pointers, comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

this instance of mysql, is 5.x, and is running on a virtual rhel5 os, under
vmware...

thanks
Hi, if mysql is the only program running on your test server it's normal that it's using 80-90% of the used cpu cycles ... Is it using 80% of the total CPU cycles or juste 80% of the used Cpu cyles? If your Cpu is running at 0.05 and mysql at 80% it means that mysql is just using 4% of the system's CPU, mysql has to listen to new incomming queries even when there are none so it's normal that it uses up some CPU ...