Are you currently dumping raw SQL?  If so, how?  One table at a time, or by
obtaining a lock on all tables?

If you're getting a lock on all tables now, I don't think anything would
change if you switched to a transactional engine like InnoDB and did the
same thing.  The database is "frozen" for a period of time while the backups
happen, which may be very quick if you don't have a lot of data.

If you're not getting a lock on all tables now, then it's possible you're
not getting a consistent snapshot of your data, and switching to InnoDB or
another transactional engine won't fix that.  I'd recommend aiming for a
consistent backup.  You know your operation better than I do, though - if
there's truly *never* anything happening at the time you take your backups,
then it's no big deal.

The best strategy in many people's opinion when you need a consistent
snapshot and can't spare the time to have the database "frozen", is to set
up a replica of your master server, and take your backups from the replica
(slave).  If you have a large number of servers this may be problematic from
a cost/maintenance standpoint.

If you can spare the time to have the database frozen, no big deal.

-Dan