Dear Person in charge:

We recently replaced mysql 4.0.16 with the free version of mysql 5.0.45 and the
access from Tomcat 4 to the database has stopped working.  It says
"java.sql.SQLException: Communication failure during handshake. Is there a
server running on 192.168.2.34:3306?"

The server is in fact running, database can be accessed through command line or
other means (including HeidiSql).  To ensure that we have the right connector,
we have installed Connector J/ 5.1 (replaced connector 3.1).

To solve the problem, we have looked into various docs on the web and made sure
that "enable-named-pipe" is on.  We believe there are at least two major
solution:

1.  Since the server.xml works fine with mysql database 4.0.16 or earlier, is
it possible that we can download mysql4.0.16?  It is currently not available on
your website.

2. the Connector /J 5.0 and 5.1 should have taken care of all security issues
and everything should have worked work fine, we believe.  However, it probably
needs some security parameters to set up properly.  Could you please provide
any specific docs in this regard?   Do we also need any secific docs for Tomcat
4 as it may not work with mysql 5.0 (i.e. we may need tomcat 5).

3. Will your Enterprise version work fine with our current server.xml and
mysql5.0?
[NOTE - our current server.xml works fine with mysql 4.0.16).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely
Vijay Kumar