In the last episode (Feb 21), Mike Spreitzer said:
> I have a table with millions of rows.  I am not sure exactly how many rows
> it has, I get a different answer every time I ask!  What's going on here?
>
> This DB is used only by me, and only by explicit commands --- I have no
> background or on-line tasks using the DB.  This is the DB that took 2 days
> to load and another two days to add a column and index.  I decided to let
> that column+index addition to complete, and it has now completed.  I am
> using the GUI administrator tool; in the Catalogs section I select the
> relevant schema; in the right hand side I select the Tables tab.  The
> listing for my table (I have only the one) says Type=InnoDB, Row Format =
> Compact, Data Length = 4.56 G, Index Length = 8.55 G, and Update Time is
> blank.  It is the Rows datum that is surprising --- every time I hit
> "Refresh" I get a different number under Rows.  It varies between 23
> million and 28 million.  It is not monotonically increasing, nor

That's not an actual row count; it's simply a guess.  InnoDB tables
have to walk the entire table to get a row count, so in the "show table
status" output mysql just makes a guess based on a few random index
lookups.  If you must know the exact number of records, use "select
count(*) from mytable", but expect it to take a minute or so.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]