If he is not sure what a join or primary key is then I do not think a
correct solution for anything he is working on would involve a
trigger. In October '07 Baron Schwartz said the following:
"I'm not an expert on them, but as a side note:  I personally don't use
triggers in MySQL.  I consider them rather poorly implemented in MySQL 5
and I'm afraid of them breaking replication, or doing something else I
don't like.  When we took a look at them at my employer, we found basic
things wrong with them, like this:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=19686

Therefore I do not trust them at all, and that's why I don't know a
whole lot about how to use them :)"

Which is a good enough reason for me to not use them.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Lyons, Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jason Pruim wrote:
>
>  > I am attempting to write a PHP application that reads info from a
>  > MySQL database, and I'm wondering if I can set up a column in one
>  > table that gets it's info from a field in another table automatically?
>
>  > Ie:
>
>  > Table1:
>  > field1
>  > field2
>  > field3
>
>  > Table2:
>  > field4
>  > field5
>  > field6 = field1
>
>  All the responses have approached this as a join problem.  But if you
>  want a field in a table to equal the data in a field in another table
>  (field6 = field1) then perhaps what you really need is a trigger on
>  Table2 that will grab data out of Table1 on insert into Table2, or
>  change data in Table2 on update to Table1.
>
>  Jim Lyons
>

>  -----
>  Jim Lyons
>  MySQL DBA