On Saturday 01 March 2008 13:45, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> I have just installed MySQL 5. The server is running, but I'm not able to
> connect to the server as root.
>
> I have not set any root password, since I have not found any way to do this
> in version 5 (it was rather good documented in version 4).
>
> I have tried this solution to set the root password, but it does not work:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html
>
> Can someone please explain who to set the root password?

Never mind... I found a solution AFTER posting the mail, typical :-)

I did a:

* Stop the server
* start it with 'bin/mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables -u root &'
* run 'mysql -u root'
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> update user set Password=PASSWORD('Some password') where User='root';
mysql> quit
* Restart the server

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes