On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Hiep Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi all, i just installed mysql and started mysqld.
>
>  it suggested i change pw for root, so i did:
>  mysqladmin -u root password "my_pw";
>
>  but i can't do:
>  mysqladmin -u root -h dev.jss.com password "my_pw";
>
>  how do i change pw for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    Quickly STFW'ing/RTFM'ing would give you an answer.

    One way is to log into the remote host (dev.jss.com) via SSH as
root (or use a control panel such as cPanel).

    Another is to use the MySQL client and log in remotely as such:

    mysql -h dev.jss.com -u root -p
    (Enter the MySQL root password)

    Then type the following MySQL queries:

    USE mysql;
    UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('newpwd') WHERE User='root';
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

    Just be sure to replace 'newpwd' with the password you want to
use.  MySQL's PASSWORD() function will handle hashing the password, so
don't send it encrypted or pre-hashed.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>