I had a bit of BFOTO and tried simple inserts.

    mysql>  create table t (f timestamp);
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

    mysql> insert into t values ('2008-03-04 16:17:00');
    Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

    mysql> select * from t;
    +---------------------+
    | f                   |
    +---------------------+
    | 2008-03-04 16:17:37 |
    +---------------------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

How very, very peculiar.  Furthermore, the difference is 37 seconds,
but I don't see the significance of that particular value.

More data: Red Hat Linux 9 (as ancient as the Bugzilla).  Kernel
2.4.20.  I put new timezone info on the system in March of last year,
just before the new US Daylight Saving Time rules went into effect.
(I had wondered whether perhaps there hadn't been leap second info
before then, so timestamps stored in an internal format would have
jumped at the transition, but this example above doesn't have any sort
of transition involved that I can see.)

--
Tim McDaniel, [EMAIL PROTECTED]